Saturday, 6 June 2015

Irish Blogger Conference 2015!


Hey guys! Apologies all round for my almost two week absence from my blog! I was without Internet, but I'm back now, and I have some very exciting posts coming soon! :D Last Saturday, I attended the amazing Irish Blogger Conference at the Radisson Blu hotel up in Dublin. To say I had a fantastic time, would be an understatement! The blogging event of the year, was organised by the ever hard working, committed and all round fantastic Emma and Fiona from Cool Events. Seriously, I couldn't fathom when I went in, how much hard work must have gone into organising this blogger conference, amazing! 
I bought my ticket in late April and I was buzzing for it! I attend a blogger conference in November and I had a brilliant time and met great people, so I was excited to attend this conference. It was set in the very swanky setting of the Radisson Blu hotel on May 30th, which was such a beautiful setting for a blogger conference. Throughout the six hours of the conference, there was such a positive, supportive, happy, helpful and a excited atmosphere, which I loved. Everyone looked smashing, and as much as we all got to know each other, ipods, cameras, notepads, ipods, tablets were everywhere I looked, such is a life of a blogger! ;) 
The event was MC'ed by comedian Marcus O'Laoire, who was without a doubt an absolutely hilarious and an engaging MC. Some of the speakers for the day included, Rob Lipsett from Lipsett Fitness, who told us to make a name for ourselves, do things that make people talk, if you're passionate about something, just do it, how important it is to know what we're talking about, and also encouraged us all to quit our jobs! Conor Lynch from Media.ie, gave us some handy tips on how to monetize your blog and told us all about the Instagram awards around the corner- The Snappys! Sonya Lennon, who Irish readers may remember from RTE's Off The Rails and told us how she spotted a gap in the market, a network for independent boutiques and turned her passion into a business with Frock Advisor. Also among these speakers were Alison Canavan, Anita White, Barbara Scully, Timi Ogunyemi, Darragh Doyle, Pete Wedderburn and Orla McDonagh. 
My favourite speakers without a doubt were Alison Canavan, Barbara Scully, Darragh Doyle and Timi Ogunyemi. My number one favourite speaker was Alison. Alison talked about her battle with anxiety and depression and how she tried to 'fix' it in the past, and how she deals with it now, with a healthy lifestyle, the realisation that constant happiness and perfection isn't real, comparison is unhealthy, and loads of Matcha tea! She was so real, down to earth and inspiring.

Alison Canavan

Sonya Lennon

Darragh Doyle (Having us all in stitches!)
A live Twitter wall was up and running for the event, using the hashtags #IrishBloggerConference and #TeenLine, we could all tweet about the event as it was happening and our tweets were up for everyone to see (Apologies for those who I annoyed with my 16 tweets trying to win a €100 voucher... ahem). It was like the Late Late Toy Show with all of the prizes that were being given away, food vouchers, a year's membership for Flyfit, 2 €100 vouchers for Arnott's, a €200 hamper for Clarins, just to name a few! The goody bags were phenomenal! Worth €80 each, I got some very exciting loot, including Bewleys coffee, make up from Burt's Bees, Physician's Formula, Wet N Wild, a Fuschia eyeshadow palette, skincare from Declare, a voucher for Athlone Town Centre, and Bon pure tissue oil. I was a very happy girl!

Of course, when an event like this is going to be captured and talked out to the extent where it became one of the top trends in Ireland on Twitter, it does so much good to have a very, very worthy cause mentioned- Teen Line. Last year in Ireland, funding for Teen Line, and mental health in Ireland was slashed so considerably, that Teen Line couldn't take up to 60% of their calls. I find this so outrageous and sickening, because in Ireland, mental health issues and suicide, particularly amongst young people have skyrocketed, so much so that Ireland has the second highest suicide rate in Europe. Which is so scary and affects us all. If you want to make the smallest difference, text 'HEAR' to 50300, to donate €2. I'm also delighted to say, we got Teenline trending in Ireland on Saturday.


At the end, there was a wonderful Q & A panel featuring Joanne Larby, James Butler, Nuala Gorham, Holly White, David Cashman, Anita Whyte and Holly Shorthall. There was a €200 Clarins skincare hamper for the person who asked the best question to the panel. I tried to ask my question but I wasn't picked, and the lucky lady who won it asked the question I wanted to ask. My favourite skincare brand and all. But I digress...
What a day! I met some fantastic, interesting and like minded people. The main message of the day was Communication, Celebration and Collaboration. If we keep these in mind when blogging, we will succeed. It was an amazing and inspiring day. I returned full of excitement for my blog, returned with fresh blood and ideas. I am excited for the future!


Huge thanks again to Emma and Fiona from Cool Events for a mighty shindig, and I look forward to more!
Thank you all for reading,
Stay fab xo
Kim.

No comments:

Post a Comment