Thursday, 14 November 2013

My Winter Essentials


Hi guys! I hope you are all having a wonderful week! Sorry I haven't been so active on the blog and commenting scene, I recently moved house... sort of. The place does not have internet yet :( so, I came to the library to put this blog up. Now that we are two weeks into Winter I thought I would write up a blog post on what I consider to be my ultimate Winter essentials, the products, and clothes, I need especially this time of the year, and rely on. I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely love Winter! The cold, crisp weather, the shorter evenings, breaking out the cosy clothes, and of course, Christmas! However, I don't think Winter is so keen on me. The weather I love tends to wreak havoc on my skin, nightmare normal to combination skin.... anyway, here is my Winter essentials list. :)
Lip scrub
Chapped and sore lips happens to be a year round problem from me, since I was fairly young. Two or three hours without Vaseline, my lips are killing me. However, it does get worse during the Winter, and I find  good lip scrub calms them down aswell, and it also moisturises and exfoliates away all the dead skin, and I get more wear out of my lipstick too with it on. I use Lush's Bubblegum lip scrub, and I love it. 

Face scrub
With normal to combination skin, my T-zone tends to be oily sometimes, my chin is prone to break outs, other than that, my skin is usually really good, I don't really breakout anywhere else else except my chin. But during Winter, all hell breaks lose, and my skin makes me want to cry. My whole face feels dry and tight, not only that, but my hairline flakes up some Winters at the very worst! So, if your skin is like mine, I'd recommend a decent face scrub. It with gently exfoliate away any dead skin, and any decent face scrub should leave your skin feeling fresh and moisturised, I use Lush's Ocean Salt, I would highly recommend it, as the avacado butter in it really moisturises the skin. 

A decent moisturiser
No matter your skin type, every skin needs moisturiser to protect us against the elements. In the summer time, I use a light feeling moisturiser, such as Garnier moisture match, which I love. However, in the winter, I switch over to thicker, richer, creamy moisturiser. At the moment I am using Simple's Kind to skin replenishing rich moisturiser, and I am loving it, and I apply this in a circular upwards motion twice a day. I would recommend trying to get a moisturiser with SPF to protect against the cold and the wind. Winter time especially, our skin needs that extra boost of hydration.


Thick black tights
Now, onto the clothes side of things, I believe that thick black tights are absolutely essential for every wardrobe. It's a handy piece to transfer summer clothes to winter clothes, so it's easier to wear more of the clothes in your wardrobe year round. They look great with skirts and shorts. Penny's/Primark do amazing fleece lined black tights which I love. 

Cosy jumpers
One of the great things about winter is that it is finally time to break out the cosy, over sized knitted jumpers! I would wear them all year round if I could. They look great with a pair of leggings and knee high boots. It's something just to be cosy and warm in, I think it doesn't really feel like winter untill the cosy jumpers come out to play! I have a few in my own wardrobe, I take a size small in a jumper, but I like mine baggy so I get a size medium or large. I hope to invest aswell in a tacky Christmas jumper, a la Hal from Malcolm In The Middle. ;)
(The nose flashed too!)

That hoodie
You know what hoodie I'm talking about, that hoodie you just live in during the Winter, probably Autumn aswell, the hoodie you live in, and sleep in. It's a hard thing to part with and because of this, it probably gets washed twice in the three months, but that doesn't matter, because it feels like heaven, and you can't just wash heaven. Mine is my purple college hoodie, money well spent.

A decent coat
I firmly believe, every single girl, and lad, should have a proper coat in their wardrobe for the winter. It should go with most things, keep you warm and snug, fit you properly, and preferably, be stylish. It's an investment piece that won't always come so cheap, but once you have it, you'll have it for years to come, provided you make the investment. It's a wardrobe must have, an absolute essential.

A snood or a scarf 
I'll be the first to admit it. I absolutely cannot hack scarves! I think they can be too fussy, I get hot way too easily, so I don't like them. If they are too loose, I look swamped, if they are too tight, I feel suffocated. If you're a scarf person, that's great, but if you don't like scarves either, a fantastic alternative I find, is a lovely snood! All you have to do is throw it on and Bob's your uncle! Dunne's Stores have lovely ones in right now, big knitted thick ones in burgundy, navy, forest green, cream and black for €12, or lighter, but still extra snug ones in the same colours for only €6! I got mine in burgundy. :)

Hot chocolate
Lastly, but not least, hot chocolate. Not a beauty product or clothes, I know. But what's winter without a good cup of hot chocolate? I make a mean hot chocolate, with Option's Mint Madness, milk, marshmallows and a dash of Mint Madness on top. Delightful. It always goes down well with a nice aul chocolate bar of your choosing.


I hope you all liked this blog, I will try next week to blog twice next week, hopefully, we'll be getting the internet in soon, I really hope so!
Thank you all for reading, 
Stay fab xo
Kim :)

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your winter essentials! Hot cocoa & cozy sweaters are a must :)

    xoxo

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I loved this post! I'm so happy it's Christmas and I'm loving candles and hot chocoalte and cosy jumpers!
    Would love if you'd have a little look at my blog, follow me if you like it and I'll follow back! xoxo

    The perks of being a hipster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you so much it's the stuff Winter is made of, I'm the ultimate Christmas person :) will do! :)

      Delete